A new vision is taking shape for a green space in the center of Oklahoma City. A refuge for exploration, Red Ridge will combine historic preservation and conservation with education and a direct connection to nature.
Red Ridge encompasses approximately 133 acres northeast of the intersection at Northeast 50th Street and Lincoln Boulevard in Oklahoma City. It features a house designed by architect Harold Gimeno and built by Mr. and Mrs. R.J. Edwards in 1934. The residence eventually became the Oklahoma Museum of Art, a precursor to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art in downtown Oklahoma City. During its time as a private museum, Red Ridge exhibited artists such as Andrew Wyeth, Peter Hurd, Doel Reed, and the West Coast Watercolor Society. The house has been abandoned since 1990.